October 13, 2006

Chemical fertilizers

I have never been a fan of chemical fertilizers, at least not since I stopped to think about it for more than a second or two. Here is part of the reason why.

Dead zones can encompass areas of ocean 100,000 square kms in size where little can live because there is no oxygen left in the water. Nitrogen pollution, mainly from farm fertilisers and sewage, produces blooms of algae that absorb all of the oxygen in the water.
Thanks to Stolen Moments of Island Time for pointing me in the direction of this article.

Now I recognize that home gardeners individually don't have much of an effect; it's more agribusinesses that need to address the issue. But still, I am also a believer in the value of doing my own small bit to make the world a better place, and that includes not pumping my tiny little corner of it full of toxins and artificial chemical stimulants. Just like taking drugs, they provide an immediate rush, but you pay for it later in one way or another.

Yes, it was too cold to go out and garden today. ;o)

Technorati tag:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link to my blog. We share the same point of view when it comes to earth friendly gardening and as some young folks today don't know how to create their own natural fertilizers, I'd like to point you at two other articles that may interest you and your readers. http://timethief.wordpress.com/2006/10/02/redworm-composters/
http://timethief.wordpress.com/2006/09/17/composting-leaves-in-your-own-back-yard/
Happy blogging!

Lynne said...

Hello Janet, I too believe in non-chemical use even inside my home. Now if only I could change my mother-in-law's mind about them. I think it is too late for her though. she is 81 and set in her ways.

Like trying to achieve peace in this world of termoil, every person counts even when it comes to making a difference in this world; especially when the feeling in numbers are not in mass for either cause.. Thanks for the additional links timetheif, I love redworms!

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I've been trying to send you the instructions for greenthumb sunday but I keep getting an error message saying your hotmail mailbox is unavailable. Perhaps you could contact me again with a different email address and I can send you the Green Thumb Sunday info.

Thanks! BTW love your site!

BTW my email addy is on my main blog Tricia's Musings http://www.feverishthoughts.com

Janet said...

Sorry about that, Tricia. Sometimes I mess things up... *blush*